The guidelines and parenting program were developed by Orygen Youth Health Research Centre (University of Melbourne), Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre (Monash University and Eastern Health), and the Australian Drug Foundation, with funding from VicHealth.
This resource includes:
1. Comprehensive parenting guidelines for adolescent alcohol use
2. A web-based parenting program, involving up to 13 modules (No longer available online, contact developers for more info).
This resource was developed to help parents prevent or reduce their adolescent child’s alcohol use in accordance with the NHMRC Australian Guidelines to Reduce Risks from Drinking Alcohol (2009).
The parenting guidelines are available in electronic form or can be downloaded as a PDF file. The guidelines cover:
- Risks associated with drinking, and recommended Australian guidelines
- Talking about alcohol and establishing expectations and rules
- Monitoring and supervision
- Fostering a positive relationship
- Adolescent parties
- Dealing with alcohol problems.