NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in Mental Health and Substance Use, National Drug & Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW. See Climate Schools.
The aim of this task is to increase students’ knowledge about psychostimulants.
Explain to the students that they will be doing a quiz in groups. Allow the students approximately 15 minutes to read over the student summary information to prepare for the quiz.
Setting up the quiz:
- Divide the class into groups of 5
- Ask each group to assign one member to be the ‘quiz master’. The other 4 members of the group should divide into pairs who will compete against one another in the quiz
- Give each quiz master a copy of the ‘Quiz Sheet’
- Give each pair a set of answers
- Ask the pairs to cut their answer sheets along the rows. Pairs will select an answer to each question from among the options on the answer sheet.
- Increased knowledge about psychostimulants and associated harms.
Secondary teachers reviewed this and other activities from the Climate Schools: Psychostimulant & Cannabis Module, with 80% rating these activities as good or very good. This particular activity was among the most popular activities selected for implementation by teachers.
The benefits of implementing individual activities from the Climate schools has not been examined. The benefits of implementing the entire 6 session Climate schools program has been supported by multiple research studies, see Climate Schools: Psychostimulant & Cannabis Module.